Eye drops! That is what caused all of this. Generic over the counter eye drops.
So, to start with, Eric's eyes had been bothering him so before he went to bed one night last week he put some eye drops in. Then he put them on his nightstand. (which is 2 1/2 feet away from the bed) Anyways, yesterday after church we put McKenna down for a nap in our bed (which is routine because they share a room and can not take naps together) and she wasn't so happy about it and would scream for a while then be quiet for a while and then repeat. We had been checking on her every time she gets quiet because it either means she is into something or she is asleep. We, of course, were hoping for the latter. Anyways, Eric went to check on her on of the times that she had been quiet and she had the eye drops in one hand and the lid in the other and some of it was missing. That meant that she had to climb off the bed, get them off Eric's nightstand and then climb back into our bed. She is very sneaky! I always worry anytime she is quiet because she is a very loud child! Well, he came out and told me what he had found and I told him to look at the label to see if we need to call Poison Control. He laughed and said "They are eye drops" but he did it anyway and it did say to call. So...I happened to have the number programed into my phone and he called. We weren't sure how much she had gotten but we thought it was about a teaspoon. Poison Control told us to watch for vomiting and signs of drowsiness and if she was acting funny to call back. This was about 1:00pm and she was acting very normal so I went to a meeting and left Eric with the kids. Soon after I left, McKenna fell asleep. It was nap time so Eric was not too worried yet. After a few minutes David woke up and began making all sorts of noise and touching McKenna and she was not waking up. That is when Eric started to worry. He called poison control back and they said to get her in immediately. So he called me and then called our neighbors to come get David until I got home. Eric said it was the longest ride of his life because McKenna was in her car seat and her head was bobbing all over the place. He kept reaching back to get a reaction out of her to make sure she was still breathing. Meanwhile I'm at home not wanting to be there. I want to be with my little girl but Eric said he wanted to wait to see what they said and how long they would be there before I came in. I agreed but it was still hard to sit at home and not know what is going on. Especially because I knew she would want me because lately she has been really clingy to me. After about 45 minutes he finally called and said they were in an ambulance heading to another hospital. So I took David to the neighbors and headed to St. Luke's in downtown Boise. Eric said that McKenna was not such a happy camper in the ambulance. She was pretty upset. When I got there the doctor was looking at her and she was very drowsy. When he finished and they laid her down she was almost instantly asleep. The kind of sleep that you can move her, tickle her and do anything and she won't wake up. At this point the doctor told us they wanted to keep her until she got back to normal and it got out of her system because of all the possible side effects. (seizures, heart attack, respiratory problems, etc). As soon as the doctor left my parents got there to see her. She was very unresponsive at this point. (around 6:00pm) My dad and Eric were able to give her a blessing. I am SO thankful for the Priesthood and that Eric was able to give her a sweet blessing. He loves her so much! After my parents left Eric and I just hung out and watched TV and called family. Then Eric went down to the cafeteria to get us dinner. The doctor had told us he would come back in around 10 and see how she was doing and if we could go home. So we waited and waited. McKenna would whimper a little and wake up every now and then but only for minute or two. She wanted to be awake so bad but could not physically keep her eyes open. When the doctor came back she still was not very responsive so he said he wanted to watch her over night just to make sure. So Eric decided to leave since he was supposed to be pouring concrete in the morning and I stayed. (I really wished I had thought to change out of my church dress but who would have thought I would be spending the night at the hospital) So I tried to make myself comfortable on the bed they had there but was not having much success. Between McKenna's monitor beeping and her movement every so often I was not successful. Then around 11:45pm she came alive again. She was all of a sudden wide awake. Even though it was late I cold not have been happier. So we spent the next two hours watching the Disney channel. She finally fell asleep again and I managed to get a couple hours of sleep before she woke up of and on around 3am. Then she slept until about 5:30 and was up from then on. I was very proud of how she acted at the hospital. I really thought she would scream because of all the things that were hooked up to her but she was very patient for the most part. She would complain and try to take things off but as long as Disney channel was on it kept her entertained. That is until about 7am. By then she was tired of being there and wanted to go home. The doctor came in around 8am and said we could go home. So the nurses came in and took off all of the things attached to her and that made her so happy. Then she got to ride in a wagon out to grandma's car. She has been her normal active, stubborn self ever since. I am so grateful that it turned out to be nothing serious! Eric and I have been so careful with all of our medicines and cleaning supplies because we know that McKenna eats everything but it just goes to show how we can never be too careful.
On a side note, we have been potty training her for the last week and she is doing amazing. Some days we have nothing but accidents but for the last three days we have had very few accidents. She even went one or two days with no accidents. She even insisted on pooping as soon as she got out of the ambulance. Eric said she was very groggy but she still went poop. I am very proud of her and exhausted because potty training is a ton of work!
6 comments:
I am so glad everything turned out fine.
How scary!!! I can't believe eye drops did all that! That is so stinkin' scary! I am so glad everything turned out ok!
Glad she is ok. That is always scary!
That is so scary. I'm glad she is okay. I can't believe that eyedrops would do that either. So crazy!
We couldn't believe it when we read it that eye drops could be so dangerous. I am glad that everyone is ok! Miss you guys!
Terrilynn, Can you email me your home address?
I can't find your email address. SOrry!
Post a Comment